Thursday, January 17, 2008

I Have Nothing to Fear from Death!


Hur ibn Yazid was becoming spiritually moved by Imam Husain, and concerned over his plight. He wanted to persuade him to pledge allegiance to Yazid, and thus spare himself a battle in which he would surely be killed.

He said: Oh, Husain: Before Allah I tell you—If you fight, you will be killed!

That Eminent one, in answer to Hurr, said: “Are you trying to frighten and threaten me with death? Do you think that if you kill me, all your problems will be solved?

I answer you in the same words of our (religious) brother from Ows who wanted to go to assist [in battle] the Prophet of Allah, Allah’s greetings and salutations be upon him and his family.

His cousin wanted to frighten him: ‘Where are you going,’ he asked him. ‘You will be surely be killed!’

The Owsi man answered: ‘I surely will go; chivalry and death hold no disgrace for me; there is no shame when one

--acts for the sake of Truth,

-- fights with a sense of satisfaction and submission to God

--sacrifice’s one life and and puts oneself in the rank of the upright, pious, and righteous.

--separates oneself from the damned and rejected

--fights and opposes the sinners and criminals.

Thus, if I live through this, I will have no regrets; and if I die, no one will blame me. How disgraceful it is for you, that you would remain alive and be oppressed and tyrannized and unable to defend your own rights!’T

Imam Husain continued in his own words, words which live on in history as the slogan of free and brave people everywhere:

  • Being afraid of death is below me!
  • How sweet and simple is death on the way of honor and bringing the Truth back to life!
  • Death in the way of honor is nothing but eternal life; Living a life of lowliness is nothing more than a death without life!
  • Are you trying to frighten me by death? You are off the mark!
  • I am not one to be afraid of death. My spirit is greater than that. My determination is higher than to allow me to tolerate tyranny and oppression out of a fear of death!
  • The most you can do is kill me! And Good for the person who is killed in Allah’s way! You have no power to destroy my majesty, or dissolve my honor and dignity and greatness!


THUS, I HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR FROM DEATH!

No comments: