Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Impoortant Points of Testimony


When Imam Husain ibn Ali, peace be upon him, asked the Companions and Followers (those who had directly received information from the Prophet, or had received information from someone who had received it from the Prophet), to testify to the truth about Ali ibn Abu Talib and his followers, the Shi’a, here are some of the points he mentioned.

  1. I ask you, by Allah: Do you know that, when the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s peace and greetings be upon him and his family established the “brotherhood pacts” among the first Muslims, he appointed Ali ibn Abi Talib as his own brother, saying, “You are my brother and I am your brother in this life and the next”? Thus, Ali ibn Abi Talib, peace be upon him, was he brother of the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s greetings and salutations be upon him and his family?

They answered, Oh, Allah, YES!

2. I ask you, by Allah: Do you know that the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s greetings and peace be upon him and his family, appointed him—the Leader of the Faithful, Ali ibn Abi Talib, my father, on the day of Ghadir Khumm, and announced his Wilayat (divinely appointed spiritual and worldly leadership). And that he said that it is required of all those present to report this matter to those who are absent?

They answered : “Oh, Allah, YES!”

3. I ask you, by Allah: Do you know that the Messenger of Allah, Allah’s greetings and salutations be upon him and his family, in the final speech that he gave said, “I am leaving two precious and valuable things amongst you. One is the book of Allah and the other is my family. Hold onto both of these so you will not go astray?”

They answered, “Oh, Allah, YES!”

That Eminent one asked them to testify to some other points, then concluded:

4 I ask you, by allah, “Is there anyone here who has heard the Prophet of Allah say, ‘Whoever thinks that he likes me, and feels hatred toward Ali, is lying! It is imposible to like me and to feel hatred toward Ali.’ One of those present said to the Messenger of Allah, ‘O Messenger of Allah, how are these two related (how does one follow from the other?)’

The Messenger of Allah replied, ‘Because Ali is from me, and I am from Ali. Whoever likes Ali likes me, and whoever likes me, likes Allah. And whoever hates Ali, hates me, and whosoever hates me, hates Allah.’”

They all answered: “Oh, Allah, YES! We heard this!”

And then, according to the promise that they had made to Husain ibn Ali, they dispersed to report this gathering and the events that took place in it, in their towns and cities

No comments: